How to Jump Start a Car
It’s an unfortunate situation, but it happens to almost everyone: you’re stranded with a car that won’t turn on because the battery is dead. Use this guide to figure out how to jump start your car. This will require:
- Jumper cables
- Another vehicle
- A little know-how
Figure out how to jump start your car battery, and count on the team at Land Rover Edison for a range of automotive tricks and tips.
A Step-by-Step Guide
Follow these steps to get your car running and back on the road:
- First, make sure the problem is with your car battery. If you turn the key and the engine fails to turn over at all, chances are the issue is a dead battery.
- Track down a second vehicle or a portable generator. If you have a portable generator with jumper cables, then you’re all set. If not, you’ll need to find a working vehicle and take out a set of jumper cables.
- Put the two cars nose to nose, then make sure both vehicles are in park. This positioning allows the jumper cables to reach both batteries. If that’s not possible, having them side-by-side should be fine as well.
- Attach the red clip to your vehicle’s positive terminal. The positive terminal is larger and likely has “POS” or “+” on it.
- Attach the red clip to other vehicle’s positive terminal.
- Attach the black clip to other vehicle’s negative terminal.
- Attach the black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t located near the battery.
- Turn on the working vehicle and wait a few minutes.
- Turn on your vehicle, and try again in a few minutes if it doesn’t work right away.
Avoid a Dead Car Battery
You can help diminish the chances of getting a dead battery by bringing your vehicle in for service and having it replaced in a timely manner. Land Rover Edison has car batteries on hand, and we provide quick, high-quality auto service. In addition, we’re happy to help with basic car care and maintenance advice.
More From Land Rover Edison
Introducing The New Land Rover Defender, your adventures, your Defender! The Exterior of the Defender is without match. Its distinctive silhouette instantly demonstrates the vehicle’s character. Tough, durable and highly functional, Land Rover Defender is a compelling story of emotionally engaging design and engineering integrity. -Gerry McGovern the CDO, Land Rover. Unique unibody architecture contributes…
Ray Catena Land Rover of Edison Is having a BIG DEAL on this Land Rover Discovery HSE Luxury! With $599/ Mo. For 39 Mos. 10,000 Miles Per Year. You can bring this beautiful SUV home RIGHT NOW! Do you want to know why this car is perfect for your family? Well, the versatility of the…
Are you guys ready to hear this? Ray Catena Land Rover of Edison is having a Black Friday Lease Specials on the 2019 Discovery Sport. The Land Rover Discovery Sport is the least expensive way to score a new Land Rover, especially with our specials that are going on right now. The Land Rover Discovery…